Friday, January 8, 2010

Thank Goodness for Maps and Friendly Natives

Hey all...
So I am now sitting in my university flat where I have three flatmates, one of whom is from Minnesota. I didn't expect another international tenant, but it's good to have someone else here.
There's something call inter-semester week (I think) which begins Monday and I guess certain exams are taken, but most students opt to stay at home for that time, so without the aforementioned flatmate, I might be alone for a week. Do you know how insane that would make me? Granted, I'm insane already... But I digress.
I stayed in a hostel for the first time last night. I have to admit, I was a little nervous since I was on my own in a city more than 3,000 miles from home, but it was fine. To those who've never been abroad, whether with friends/family or by yourself, trust me: you'll be fine. So far, I've run into only friendly people, beginning with the people from the student welcome center at the airport, continuing with the cab driver, then a waitress, an 82-year-old lady at the bus stop, and my flat mate, to say the least.
Anyone would have given me directions if I'd asked. And believe me, I had to ask more than once. This morning, I caught a bus going in the opposite direction of where I needed to go, but the bus driver calmly and kindly explained that, though he was at the last stop, he would be leaving in 5 minutes and it would take about 30 to reach me intended destination.
But, I'm dumb. I couldn't find my destination. Want to know why? 219 Colinton Road is not a house like they try to make you think. It's the main building for Craiglockhart campus of Edinburgh Napier University. It's a huge building on the OPPOSITE side of the street that I expected. So what do I do? I walk around in the cold for 30 minutes before I decide to try lugging my near 50-pound suitcase up the hill. And when I say pound, I don't mean money, people.
No worries. I made it to my induction meeting, got the key to my flat, got a taxi and settled in... sort of. I'm not unpacked yet, but that's for later.
Here's something I didn't at all expect, but it's the latitude that does it. Did you know that right now it's dark here at about 4pm and the sun isn't really up until maybe 9:30? Crazy, huh?
It's really an odd thing to think that, while it's 9:15pm here, it's only about 3:15pm back home in the midwest. So my little sister just got out of school 30 minutes ago or so.
Again, I digress. My first stop tomorrow? Errands. I have a lot to do and little time to do it with shop hours. Things close at 6pm around here. I was unable to get sheets or a pillow so I have to rough it once more for the night. Maybe I should find another hostel... Nah. I also need a cell phone because I haven't spoken to my family since before 10am on Wednesday morning. And I need food and dishes, etc. Oh gracious, I have a lot to do.
Well, I'm off to a tavern with my flatmate for something to do with international students, which I now am. Catch ya later!

Kilts checked to date... Still... Zero

5 comments:

  1. KATE!!! It sounds like the adventure is just beginning! I can't wait to see pictures! I hope you are enjoying your first week abroad! While we are stuck in a winter wonderland? Ya wonderland...lol. Way too cold here for me. Itll be interesting to see how many people actually make it to thier first class on Monday. Well hope to hear from you soon!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh - either you were on the same bus as me on Friday morning, or you're not the only foreign student to get lost on the buses..!

    I live in Edinburgh and got on a no.10 mid-morning at Western Harbour (the opposite end of the route from Colinton) and there was a young lady with a suitcase who the bus driver said had got on going the wrong way, am guessing it was you - this city is sometimes surprisingly small! (I just found this blog via a Google alert, don't worry, I'm not stalking you!).

    It was such a co-incidence to spot this blog that I just wanted to say hi and wish you luck - glad you found your way in the end, and have a great semester in Edinburgh - all the best adventures start with getting lost!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. That probably was me, actually. Wow, it really is a small world. And yes, the best adventures do certainly start with getting lost, but usually they're best when you don't have a 50 lb. suitcase with you and you're not alone. Thanks, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this the famous Director of Music for Amelia Island's Velvet Undertow? (Isn't that your official title?)

    I'm so exicted for you!!!! Enjoy! I remember seeing the castle at night. Wow! Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. I think I may have lost my title, but if you're curious, I'm still working on the song. I just don't have access to a piano anymore... But I think my flatmate and I are seeing some stuff tomorrow and the castle should be included!

    ReplyDelete