Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sore Feet, Frozen Body, Happy Mind

I know this post comes so quickly after the last, but I do have a bit to say and I'm afraid I'll forget if I don't tell you now.

First, I finally got a phone here. Yay! I feel somewhat better having it in case of emergencies.

Second, my flatmate and I went on a great walking tour of the city today. And it wasn't even the whole city. Three hours and we barely even covered a few square blocks. This place is so magical with its history and more. The feeling of it alone just tells me I'm going to have an amazing time (and I already am).

This tour was a free tour done by a group called New Europe. They're known for their free tours, but what I didn't know about them is that their tour guides (at least the one today) are wonderful. Our tour guide, Ronnie, was cracking jokes left and right, making history interesting even for those who usually couldn't care less. I'm not one of those people, but trust me, there was probably someone who didn't want to be there, but Ronnie made it fun. So, if you're ever in Edinburgh and want a free tour, look them up and see if Ronnie is still working there.

I was frozen at the end and my nose was running like crazy, but I'd had a good time and the men and women of the tour group work only on tips, so tip them well if you go along because it's got to be a hard job. Ronnie got really into his speeches about everything. It was great.

I got to see so many things like Edinburgh Castle (though we did not go in), The Elephant House (where JK Rowling first dreamed up Harry Potter), the cemetery where the aforementioned author got some names for her series, and even the school that she first pictured as Hogwarts. I know, I got a little obsessed with Harry Potter. Trust me, there was much more than that. We learned about William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, and the only person to ever steal the Stone of Destiny from Westminster Abbey in London, Ian Hamilton. He got away with it too, though if that's so, I don't know how they know his name. I should have asked.

So many great stories from that and so many great places to use in my own writings.

Now, in these posts, you'll notice that I give you a number of kilts checked at the end. Do I really mean that I'm checking under random kilts of the locals? Or do I mean something else? Well the number went up, so you'll have to decide for yourself what I mean. Could be a trick question too.

Kilts checked to date... 16

3 comments:

  1. so i'm insanely jealous. i still wanna see pics ASAP!!! keep me updated with all the fun you are having. what do the checked kilts mean?!? o.0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't take pictures until I get a new camera. I realized as we were walking up to the meeting spot that my camera does not work. Good timing, huh? So, I have to get a new one. And as to the kilts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fun to read. I'm looking forward to your adventures!! Mrs. W (aka Lisa)

    ReplyDelete