Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Absence...

I apologize for my recent absence from posting. I've had a bit of a cold and there's really not much to tell of my first week. You see, I was made to attend things like induction meetings, matriculation sessions, etc.

Also, for those friends and family on Facebook, I am, sadly, without a camera. I cannot recall if I said so in one of the earlier posts, but just before beginning that three-hour walking tour last weekend, my camera took one picture and then decided to stop working. It just stopped taking actual pictures. It was on. I can still turn the camera on, but the screen is black and so are the pictures taken. Therefore, I have one picture and have ordered a camcorder/digital camera combo to be delivered to a nearby store. I should receive it in the next couple of days.

For those of you studying abroad or planning to do so, I already have some tips for you from personal experience.

1. I was under the impression all last semester that I had to write down the classes I wanted and send them to the university I would be attending here so that they could sign me up. Not the case. I had been expecting a paper in the mail for this, but it never came. I found out when I got here that I was to sign up for classes the week before classes began. Yes, the week before. Now, this may seem convenient, right? That means I'm close to campus, I have met my academic adviser here, etc. Not so convenient. I found out that three of the four classes I had gotten pre approved for transfer credit were unavailable. One was a post-grad class and therefore unsuitable (also about 3 times the price) and the other two were not offered this trimester... What did I do? I had to e-mail my adviser back home and try to figure out other classes that would fit and that could be approved. Thanks to my wonderful adviser, this was done.

2. If staying in university housing, bring things with you. I had no towel, no sheets, no blanket, and no pillow the first night in my flat. I had to use my backpack for a pillow, my two coats, a travel blanket, three pairs of socks, and the usual sweatshirt, etc. I was still cold. Bring whatever you think you'll need the first night if there is any doubt that you cannot get it before the stores close. I had no idea that most stores closed around 6pm here... they do.

3. Bring a taste of home. Whether it's pictures, food, drink, games, music, movies, etc. You're going to want something. I'm already somewhat homesick, but I've got ways of connecting with my family which brings me to my next tip.

4. GET SKYPE! Or some other form of video chat, etc. It's free to set up and, unless calling to an actual phoneline, it will stay free. I have talked with my parents just before they left for a cruise, I've talked with my aunt in Reno, with my grandparents and sister in Kansas and with friends from school in Arkansas. It's such a great thing because it definitely staves off the homesickness which is inevitable when you can't go home for four months.

I believe that is all for now in terms of the big tips. I just thought I'd update you all on my situation. I begin classes tomorrow! Yay! Oh and did I mention that, if all works out with the tutorials, I'll have five-day weekends the rest of the semester? Yeah, that's right. FIVE DAYS. Well, I must be off now.

Kilts checked to date... 16

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete