Thursday, January 7, 2010

Battling the Beast

I'm sitting in Heathrow Airport in London, wondering how I can possibly be in a city more than 3,000 miles from home. I look at the time on my pre-paid internet access and I have just under 9 minutes left. Enough time to blog? I think so!
My first flight out of Kansas City and into Newark was short. I slept for the most part, having only gotten about 5 hours the night before. Then I got to wait for more than four hours in Newark (where I definitely ate something that did not agree with me) before boarding the plane that would take me to London. About 6 1/2 hours later, we landed. Throughout the long flight, I'd had a headache, a stomach ache, thrown up (apparently I don't do well on long flights over water) and thus had no solid food in my stomach since the slice of pizza in Newark. Food? That was my first thought.
But first I had to go through checkpoints and change terminals and make sure I knew where I was going and such. No big deal, right? Wrong. London's Heathrow Airport is a beast to navigate. More than once I had to ask for directions and I definitely felt like people thought I was just another stupid American. Probably just a feeling. No worries.
Even the uncomfortable flight over the Atlantic (which was also complicated with turbulance) has not really marred my first few hours abroad. It's truly an adventure just being in a new country. What I really can't wait for is to take a nap. I've only had about 5 hours of sleep in the last 55 or so hours total. Not exactly helping the headache, is it?
Wow, I'm complaining. Sorry all for that.
I'm trying my best not to look like a tourist, but I know I do. I've only got about 3 minutes left, so I'll wrap this up. Newark = boring. London = super cool even with the headache and tired eyes. Edinburgh = who knows? We shall see soon enough.
Have questions? Want to give me a list of places to visit all over Europe? Comment on the blog!

Kilts checked to date... Zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment