Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bad Luck and a Castle in Aberdeen

Let's start with the castle, shall we? Dana and I took the train to Aberdeen on Thursday. When we got there, we went directly to our hostel, checked in, ate dinner across the street, had Starbucks, and went to bed.

Did I mention Aberdeen is not the easiest place to get around in? Street signs, for one, would be a lovely touch.

But, the next day...
We were up and out of the hostel before 10am. And if you know me, you know that I rarely do anything before noon if I can help it, so this was a major step for me. After finding the tourist information center two blocks from the train station (poor planning, if you ask me), Dana and I made our way to the bus stop (right next to the train station) and caught a bus to Stonehaven, which was technically back the way we had come the night before.

Once in Stonehaven, we caught another bus to a road leading to Dunnottar Castle. The bus stop was literally in the middle of nowhere. Literally. No sidewalks even. So we walked down the road until we hit a car park and then turned right to walk out to the castle which was built onto an outcropping of rock. It's a cliff. You go down some steps and then back up some more to get to the gateway.

Dunnottar Castle is literally in ruins. Most of the buildings are still standing, but there are basically no roofs and, except for the ground floors made of earth or stone, there are no floors. We went up some spiral staircases where the tops were fenced off because they led to nowhere. It was super cool!

I took a ton of pictures. Check them out of Facebook.

Dana and I then caught a bus back to Aberdeen where we walked around, bought a souvenir or two, and wasted away the time until our train was scheduled to depart: 9pm.

We saw Merkat Cross, His Majesty's Theater and the Art Gallery.

We got on the train, no problem, but before we had even reached our first stop (Stonehaven), we stopped... and stopped... and waited... and waited some more. There were problems in front of us. A freight train had broken down. It couldn't be moved until the morning. These announcements came ever thirty minutes or so starting about forty-five minutes after we had initially stopped. So, finally they told us we would be heading back to Aberdeen where alternative transportation had been made. It was supposed to take 5 or 6 minutes for us to leave. Thirty to forty minutes later, we finally left.

We got back to the train station where we were directed to buses. By the time we left, headed for Dundee where we would swap onto either another bus or into taxis, it was 11:35. We would basically have been back in Edinburgh by then if there had been no problems.

So, we make a few stops along the way for passengers not headed to Dundee or beyond. Then we get to Dundee. There is one taxi bound for Sterling and Glasgow. We wait in the freezing train/bus station for another taxi. It takes us to Edinburgh. I have to direct the driver from the airport. With the construction because of the tram system (which they are creating for the city), we got a bit turned around, but finally found our way to the flats. At about 2:45am.

I am never going back to Aberdeen. That city will not get any more money from me. Nope.

But, the castle did make it all worth while, I have to say. It was a ton of fun. And there are bound to be bumps along the way wherever you go in life. Deep, I know.

Kilts checked to date... 50.

3 comments:

  1. "I am never going back to Aberdeen. That city will not get any more money from me." Sounds like a song to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Well, not quite, but I think I can make it into one. I have no guitar or piano (or keyboard) here! I'm going insane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Aberdeen in 2006, walked from near the train station all the way up through the university, seaton park, along the Don then back again.

    Also went to Dunnottar Castle - but walked along the clifftops from Stonehaven - a long walk but breathtaking

    ReplyDelete